Choir Performance at the Hilton – Gijang
The Grade 6 & 7 Choir were lucky enough to be invited to perform at the new Hilton Hotel in Gijang last Wednesday. The students rehearsed in the morning and then performed later on in the day. It was a fabulous performance by all accounts. Well done to the students and Ms Khalifeh for their efforts.
IB Diploma Subject Choices – Current Grade 10 Students.
Well, it might seem like a long way off, but in reality, the current students in grade 10 will soon be deciding on their subject choices for the next academic year – 2018/19. While we are asking students to make decisions soon, there will be plenty of time and advice given to parents and students to enable everyone to make well-informed decisions. To that extent, the process will begin before the end of this term. We have scheduled the following events for the students in grade 10.
- Tuesday, December 5 – Overview to students of the IB Diploma requirements. Outline of alternate courses for students not undertaking the full IB DP.
- Tuesday, 12 December and Wednesday, 13 December – Grade 10 students will be invited to spend time in the back of Grade 11 & 12 IB Diploma classes (Psychology, Economics, Spanish, English B and Maths)
- Tuesday, December 12 & Thursday, December 14 – College Counselor Presentations to students – General Information Session about College and Subject Choices. BridgeU and Self Assessment Tools.
Wednesday, January 10 – Grade 10 Parents and Students – IB Diploma Information Night. MHS Hall, 6.00-7.00pm.
- 11-18 January – Homeroom Sessions. Teachers will use Grade 10 homeroom time to discuss subject groups and the courses offered. This will help students make more informed choices.
- 11-18 January – Teacher Recommendations – teachers will recommend students for specific courses and levels, HL or SL. This information will be reviewed by the Head of Secondary, the counsellor and the DP coordinator.
- Friday, 19 January – Subject Survey sent to students and parents re subject offerings for 2018/19
- Tuesday, 30 January – Subject choice surveys due by this date.
- February(ongoing) – Meetings with Head of Secondary, DP Coordinator and/or Counselor to finalise subject choices for the coming academic year. Students are able to make changes to their initial choices throughout the remainder of this academic year.
Angel Tree of Giving
Parent Coffee Morning Encore
Dec.12, Tuesday 9 am
Assessment in the MYP
If you have a child currently undertaking the MYP, Grade 6-10, our MYP Coordinator, Ms Jenny Montague will be running the workshop on Tuesday, December 12, on how assessment works in the MYP. Please join Jenny in the MHS Library (C3.11) for the session. We will make a start at 9.00am and conclude at 10.00am.
Middle School Assembly
- All students in grade 6-8 were given a piece of paper and asked to number it from 1-10.
- WITHOUT even hearing/knowing the questions, they then answered true or false to the questions.
- After they all guessed, 10 questions with really odd facts were shown and students shouted out whether they thought they were true or false and correct answers were given.
- The students scored their papers.
- Students then formed a human graph – random answers to random questions should generate most scores in the 40-60% range, which is what happened.
- Students below 40 and above 60 were rare.
- Rarest of all were students who scored 0% or 100% – both scores have the same probability value
It was a terrific assembly that gave all involved a visual representation of a simple ‘bell curve’ graph – the difference being the graph was made up of the students!
BIFS Community Choir
Dear Parents, there is a growing quantity of lost property that will be on display at the entrance to C-Building on the first floor – next to the student cafe. This needs to be removed prior to the holidays or it will be donated to charity. Please encourage your child to look through the many boxes for articles of clothing, shoes, drink bottles etc. You never know, some of it might belong to your child!