Academic Counseling
Every student comes to BIFS with varied academic skills and goals. The counselor can help students as they navigate their educational journey through out high school and as they plan for life after high school.

Social and Emotional Counseling
Busan International Foreign School is committed to providing quality education to its students. In an effort to achieve this goal, school staff or parents/guardians may refer students for counseling, or students may request counseling. The aim of the school counseling services is to help students have more effective education and socialization within the school community. Possible counseling topics are coping with changes, transition, self-esteem, friendship and relationship issues, study skills, stress management, fears or worries, academic progress, conflict resolution, social skills, adjustment to school or culture, etc. These services are available at no cost. However, these services are not intended as a substitute for medication, or psychological diagnosis, which are not the responsibility of the school.

Mr. Joey Dekens, the Whole School Social Emotional Counselor, may see students for one-time visits or for a longer term of sessions (usually up to 10) according to a student’s need. He will be in contact with a student’s parent(s) if he feels the student may benefit from further sessions after initial drop-in visit, to discuss the student’s needs and to gain signed informed consent (form attached) to counseling . The school counselor may also see students in groups for various issues. Further, he is always available to speak to parents regarding any concern that they may have regarding their children. The school counselor will be available for secondary secondary students on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, while his availability for elementary students will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Please do not hesitate to contact him at [email protected] or by phone at (0)51-720-1151 (Elementary) and (0)51-720-1139 (Secondary). Please see the attached private referral form to refer your child and please sign and return consent form to school should your child need to see the counselor.

University Guidance Counseling