In November, an evaluation team from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) visited our school remotely for a 5 Year Accreditation Visit. This week, we received the full, published report. We are delighted to inform you that the Accrediting Commission for Schools, WASC has now formally granted the International School of Busan a five year accreditation status.
The report is extremely positive, reflects well on our learning community and is indicative of the hard work, talent and professionalism of all ISB Staff and Faculty. The report successfully identifies many of our strengths and accomplishments and also provides us with some useful recommendations to help us further focus on the growth and development of our school as we move into our next cycle of reflection, review and planning.
This report and our re-accreditation is something for our school community to celebrate and be proud of!
Please find below some of the highlights from the evaluation report.
The visiting committee commend:
- The Board of Governors for their stable, consistent, strategic focus and support in making decisions to ensure the health and sustainability of a three-programme IB World School. This includes the strategic focus through the current pandemic crisis.
- The school leadership, faculty, staff, students, and parents for their resiliency, flexibility, and adaptability in these challenging times as they continue to support the students’ well-being and learning.
- The Board of Governors and schoolwide leadership for the commitment to develop and strengthen policies, programs, communication and collaborative structures to work together as “one” school.
- The entire school community for its caring school culture that is supportive in nurturing the development of all students becoming globally responsible citizens.
- The school leadership, faculty, and staff for the commitment and dedication to inclusion, meeting the needs of all students.
- The parents for their commitment and support to the IB philosophy and programmes while being actively engaged in all aspects of school life.
- The Board of Governors, the school leadership, faculty, and staff for the development, implementation, and ongoing refinement of the child protection policy and the strong commitment to child safeguarding and protection.
- The Board of Governors and the leadership for refining policies and practices to ensure a well-functioning Board, such as training, the evaluation process of the school head and the Code of Conduct.
- The school leadership for ensuring the interconnectedness of the guiding statements, the Strategic Plan, the Whole School Plan and the IB PYP, MYP and DP Action Plan to support a cohesive, coherent and connected ISB continuous improvement process that will support high quality student learning and well-being.
- The leadership, faculty and staff for the commitment to strengthening digital citizenship, literacy and innovation.
- The Board of Governors, the leadership, faculty, staff, parents, students, and other stakeholders for their review and refinement of the school’s guiding statements that include community wide input and reflect strong consistency with the schools’ programs.
- The school leadership and the faculty for leveraging the parent and community wide resources to enhance student learning and well-being.
- The school leadership for moving forward with plans and actions that will provide improved strategies to communicate the school’s identity, purpose and direction to the local, national and international community.
- The school leadership for engaging in continuous meaningful and reflective communication in the spirit of transparency through diverse approaches that focus on continuous improvement.
- The school leadership, faculty and staff for the strong emphasis upon language learning through the development and implementation of structures, policies and initiatives to support student success in a multilingual community.
- The school leadership for facilitating the review and refinement of schoolwide policies, processes, procedures, and initiatives to ensure all aspects of the school are well-documented to support clarity in the school’s policies and operations.
- The school leadership for empowering faculty in the development and implementation of the revised teacher appraisal and evaluation process correlated with the identified Whole School Goals that supports professional growth addressing student and staff needs with emphasis on the impact on student learning.
In addition, the following excerpts from the report highlight our school’s approach to learning and our commitment to continuous improvement.
- Conversations with representative students indicated that ISB has high expectations and rigor throughout their programmes and teachers provide quality feedback.
- The school provides a supportive environment for teachers to use innovative approaches to enhance student learning.
- ISB has created a caring and nurturing environment that permeates throughout the entire school community.
- In conversation with the faculty, leadership committee, students, the parent community, and the Board of Governors, it is evident how much the school cares for their students.
- The school has a strong culture of mutual respect, cross-cultural communication, and collaboration within the school community and the greater Busan community.
- The revised Guiding Statements have integrated key attributes of the IB philosophy that will enhance a strong culture and support consistency throughout the school’s IB programmes and caring and support for all students as they move through the continuum.
- There was clear evidence that the school has existing policies, regulations, and resources to ensure a safe, clean and orderly environment that nurtures and safeguards students.